My Visit To University Of California, Berkley





Fremont(California)


Yesterday was our Independence Day and I missed my country. Today again I am missing India, today is Raksha Bandhan but this time I couldn't send rakhi to my brothers. In the morning we went to meet Anu's uncle and aunt. They had invited us for lunch.


After lunch we went to visit the most prestigious university that is University of California, Berkley. Berkley is in the south of San Francisco, in the Golden State, California. Berkley was the first full- curriculum public university in the state, so it was called University of California. My daughter-in-law Anu is doing her Masters of Information Management And System (MS) here. Berkley was founded in 1868 with just 10 faculty members and 38 students.Now it has 220,000 students and 170,000 faculty and staff members.It is the pioneer university of the world and has produced 20 Nobel Laureates till date, this is the place where vitamin E was found.The atomic bomb in world war2 was also developed by the scientists, those who were working on Manhattan projects.


University Of California has ten campuses. It has world class labs and classrooms, besides that three of the US Department of Energy national laboratories are managed by the university.


We started from Fremont at about 4 o'clock in the evening and it took about 30 minutes to reach there. I was very excited because I had heard a lot about Berkley. First we went to the south hall, the first building of the university built in 1873, the only original building left in the campus. Anu has her classes in this building.

We went inside and saw its students center and the lab. Anu showed us where she generally sits in the lab and I was very proud to witness it. From there we went to the see the Memorial Glade.





Now the most impressive building, which I liked was the library. From there we went to the southern gate of the university. It was still vacation going on so we could not see the rush of the students there. I was very happy that I saw this university so closely, this was like a dream. Now all of us were tired so we left the land of learned people, scientists and Nobel Laureates.


We had a nice Ethiopian food and returned back to Fremont. We reached there at 11 p:m. This was my one of the memorable visit of USA.

No comments: